Criminals don’t take the holidays off
Giving gifts is the best and so is receiving. But if you aren’t careful with your personal information, including credit cards, you might be gifting thieves just what they wanted.
Credit card, debit and prepaid losses is a billion-dollar industry. Fraud can happen in a number of ways.
- Thieves may go through the garbage to take information from billing statements.
- Hackers attacking your bank website or store where you shopped.
- Shop clerks or restaurant servers taking down information while they have your card.
- Someone looking over your shoulder while you use your card.
During the holiday season you could get careless running around with all the last minute gifts and organizing. Practice these safety tips from Safeco to keep your cards secure.
- You should be the only one using your card.
- Don’t give your card number to companies or people you don’t know and trust.
- Keep an eye on your card when you’re making a purchase.
- Don’t just toss our statements and receipts. Shred them if possible
- Before you shred those statements and receipts, check them.
- Consider where you carry your cards. Keep them separate from your wallet or purse.
- Remember, if something doesn’t feel right be careful or walk away.